Extreme Pink...

..passionately living life one thought at a time

1.03.2008

Heritage

We just heard that my Grandpa Kerychuk is back in the hospital again. It's not even so much that he is sick, but rather, he is just getting old. His body is failing him. So tonight he sits in some uncomfortable ER bed getting poked and prodded as they find ways to treat the symptoms. And I wish I was there to hug him, hold his hand and tell him one more time I love him. Chances are I won't have the opportunity to tell him that again face to face. But I am sure he knows how proud I am to be his granddaughter. I pray he remembers that tonight.

I can't think of one time my grandpa was upset with me. Not one. I just remember him smiling and singing to us. Even though he has lived in Canada and the United States for many years, he still has a heavy Ukrainian accent. From when I was a little girl to in college he would say in a sing-song voice, "Tam-my! Where are yo-ou?! I can hear you, but I can't see yo-ou!" And even though I would be standing right next to him, and knew he could see me, I would still giggle and go run into his room so he would say it again. In his room was a collection of horse figurines. I don't know why since he had not owned one since a young man, but he loves horses. He would watch shows about them with my sister and I. I think Tara and I learned to love horses so much ourselves because of his interest. I also will always remember him sitting on the couch watching "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy." He never missed a show, and he was very good at guessing the answers. When I was about 12, we lived just a few apartments down from my grandparents. Sometimes my grandpa would pick us up after school if my parents were working and take us home where my grandma already had dinner ready…. At 3:30 PM! Tara and I would kinda stare at each other, than dig into the Ukrainian feast in front of us. No sense good cabbage rolls or perogies going to waste!

I was blessed because I got to spend time with my grandpa when he was retired. My dad, on the other hand, did not have much time with his father while growing up. My grandpa worked full-time and was a pastor. His schedule was very full. My dad used to complain and my grandpa would say, "It is a joy to serve son." My parents taught me servanthood, but only because my grandparents passed it on to them. The last time I spoke with my grandpa was about a month ago. He sounded very old and frail. He said to me, "Tammy, I know times have been tough but keeping looking Up. If you look down, you will fall. Keep your eyes on Jesus." I started to cry when he said that because I know what hardships my own family had to endure. And I've seen them overcome. I have a great heritage to rely on.

When he was still in the old country, my Great-Grandpa Hyrcyk was strapped to a cannon, blindfolded and told to renounce his faith in Christ. He refused. A Russian general fired a gunshot into the air and told my great-grandpa they had shot one of his family members and would keep killing them until he renounced his faith. Shot after shot my great-grandpa refused. They finally let him go, beat him up, and walked away. Thankfully no one was killed. Years later, my great-grandpa was preaching at a revival in Alberta, Canada. That same Russian general had come to the meeting, recognized my great-grandpa, and rushed to the alter to accept Christ. My great-grandpa's faith was astounding, awing even. Talk about a tremendous heritage.

I love my Grandpa Kerychuk with all my heart. And I will miss him when he is gone. However, I am so grateful for the lessons I learned from him. The truth he taught me through his words and through his life. He has raised 3 kids who are all in ministry, and now his grandkids are stepping forward into their heritage as well. And I pray when he is finally at peace, he will know the work he started will be continued on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home